Dating watkins glen
In 1975, a fast right-left chicane was added in the turn 3-4 Esses section (called the "Scheckter Chicane") to slow speeds through the series of corners. In the early 1990s, the IMSA sports cars began bypassing the "Boot" in favor of the short course.To date, NASCAR events have never used the Boot layout.When NASCAR returned to the track in 1986, they chose to use the short course layout.IMSA originally used the "Boot", but eventually, that series also began using the shorter 1971 layout.NASCAR Xfinity Series Zippo 200 at The Glen IMSA Weather Tech Sports Car Championship Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen NASCAR K&N Pro Series East Lakes Wine Country 100 Formerly: Formula One United States Grand Prix (1961–1980) Indy Car Series Grand Prix at The Glen (1979-1981, 2005-2010, 2016-2017) NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (1996–2000) Watkins Glen International, nicknamed "The Glen", is an automobile race track located in Watkins Glen, New York, at the southern tip of Seneca Lake.
The first races in Watkins Glen were initiated by Cameron Argetsinger, whose family had a summer home in the area.With Chamber of commerce approval and SCCA sanction, the first Watkins Glen Grand Prix took place in 1948 on a 6.6-mile (10.6 km) course For the first few years, the races passed through the heart of the town with spectators lining the sidewalks, but after a car driven by Fred Wacker left the road in the 1952 race, killing seven-year-old Frank Fazzari and injuring several others, the race was moved to a new location on a wooded hilltop southwest of town.The original 6.6-mile (10.6 km) course is listed in the New York State register and National Register of Historic Places as the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Course, 1948-1952.It was designed by Bill Milliken, and engineering professors from Cornell University. The pits and start/finish line were relocated to this new straightaway. When the 1971 Six Hours of Watkins Glen arrived in July 1971, the overall circuit renovations were still unfinished.The short course had been finished, but the Boot segments were not complete, nor was the new pit area.
The start-finish line was relocated to the new pit straight as planned.